Tuesday, October 2, 2012

U-Turn Anytime

Today I want to write to say how great is the mercy of the Lord.  I have this idea of who I want to be in my head, and when I fall short of it EVERY SINGLE DAY I get so upset and depressed, and I think to myself what should I be doing differently to try to obtain this picture in my head.  And then I start thinking "Is the picture I have accurate?  Is it the picture I want for myself or is it one the Lord has given me?"  It's so hard to know sometimes.  I have thoughts that certainly this picture is from the Lord, it's a picture of a peaceful happy day with my healthy (not sick) children who have slept through the night, wake up happy, eat at the table like perfect angles because they slept all night and who obey when told to get ready for the day, have a great day at daycare/preschool and then come home and eat dinner and play.  All the while I'm at work caring for the sick who are genuinely grateful for my care and attention, and I am patient, loving, and kind to my children, coworkers, patients, and husband.  I mean, who wouldn't want that kind of day?  What He has shown me is that is NOT the picture from the Lord.  
He showed me today that a "perfect mommy" is not the way to win their hearts for God.  A perfect mom has no room for grace, because she doesn't need it.  A picture perfect life doesn't need forgiveness or sanctifying or salvation at all.
So I am embracing the not-so-perfect trip down the road of life today.  (Now searching for the U-Turn sign)  I will not get overly stressed and beat myself up when my kids are screaming or whining, or my husband falls short of my expectations...or when I fall short of them too.  I'm so hard on myself, and I'm going to try harder not to be.  I will accept that not every patient will be grateful for the medical care we give them.
If and when I fail today I will then make sure to ask my kids for forgiveness, or let them see how I pray, instead of waiting till they're in bed to seek the Lord.
Thank-you, Lord, for meeting me where I am.  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  This verse has new meaning for me.  It means I don't have to do all the things I am thinking should be done.  It means whatever I end up doing is "all" that He meant for me to do.



1 comment:

  1. Just read this now, but it is beautifully put. Thank you for the reminder. God's grace is so available for us imperfect moms. It sounds like you're being a humble mom and James 4:6 promises to give grace to the humble!

    ReplyDelete