Since going back to work I feel so much better mentally. Physically however I'm even more tired than ever. I have to remind myself on my days off (like today) that it's ok to want to keep going back to bed when Ella is napping. (Yes Anna is at daycare even on my days off) The dust bunnies can wait, the vacuum and the swiffer will not judge me for lack of use. I am still celebrating the clean bathroom I managed to get done the week before I went back to work (that was a month ago). I'm ignoring the fact it should probably be done again now. My brain has great intentions when I'm sitting in the rocking chair feeding the little one. I picture myself the queen of efficiency moving from room to room tucking, folding, putting away...sort of like that lady on the Electrolux appliance commercials where the laundry gets magically folded in the air when she throws it in the drawers while wearing fashionable clothing and great hair and makeup. The reality is I'm wearing PJs that have a wet spot on the arm where the milk is pooling as it runs down the side of Ella's mouth, 3 soaking wet burp cloths on the arm of the chair, 1 over the crib railing, and I think I can smell a dirty diaper on the changing table that I forgot to throw away....or maybe she needs to be changed again. There are small toys that rattle scattered over the whole room from where Anna was playing with them last night before bed, but as I bend down to pick up the nearest one at the end of the feeding I hear the biggest "wet" burp you've ever heard come from somewhere near Ella's head which is nuzzled oh so cuddly in my arm pit. And as I stand up I feel warm wetness run all the way down my side to my hip. I fight every fiber of my being not to let out a frustrated groan and instead carefully place the infant on the changing table and step away to assess the floor. Because worse than having a wet shirt is stepping on a wet spot in the carpet with bare feet. So after cleaning us both off, getting her back to sleep, taking a quick shower and putting on fresh clothes (not fashionable ones because these too will get wet before the day is over) I have no strength left for cleaning.
Oh well. No one really cares except maybe my mom...but I'm ignoring her voice in my head today about just trying to get one thing done. My one thing today is to relax for as many minutes as I can squeeze in. Because I've learned that a rested mommy is far more important than a clean house.
No comments:
Post a Comment