Friday, May 18, 2012

A Day of Rest

Yesterday I got to celebrate my 31st birthday (which was actually May 6th, but it just didn't work out to celebrate that day) with my mom and sister, and then celebrated 9 years of marriage with Frank at dinner.  I started the day by handing Ella (now 8 weeks old) over to my very wonderful mother-in-law for the entire day.  She and grandpa came to our house to watch both girls, and I cannot thank them enough for doing it, and that I didn't have to put anyone into car seats or fight anyone to get dressed and hurry up to get out the door!  I then drove to Murfreesboro to meet my 2 best friends for a day of rest.  That drive was so nice.  Not worrying if someone was asleep in the back seat or not, not trying to reach back to reinsert a paci to calm a screaming baby, not searching for a sippy cup that fell under my seat and rolled into the inner workings of my car (a Volvo which is acclaimed for safety, not easy access to small spaces) and best of all getting to listen to whatever music I wanted as loudly as I wanted.  I'm pretty sure just the drive helped me get my sanity back from the last 2 months.  After the best hair cut I've ever had we went to lunch.  Now I started this day thinking that I wasn't going to talk about my kids the whole day, but I realized 2 things shortly after I got there: 1. my sister loves my kids too, and doesn't mind hearing about them, and 2: it was helping me feel more confident as a mom to rehash with her the good and the bad of the past few weeks.  We moved on to other topics at lunch and I really started feeling like myself again.  Like the sister and the daughter I feel comfortable being.  I know and recognize this person and it was a great feeling.  It felt like home.  Not that my own home doesn't feel that way, it's just a busy place right now and my brain needed a rest. 
After another good drive home I briefly saw my children (helped get Ella settled during her fussy time of the night) and then left again with Frank for a much needed date night.  We walked around Bridge Street (an outdoor mall for those who don't live here) and ate dinner...slowly.  And even had dessert, something we almost never do while eating out.  I remembered why I love him and we got to talk about the future, and our dreams.  It helped both of us be excited about life again to be able to make plans together for our family.  I am realizing while writing this that our marriage has entered a new phase.
We are not newly weds any longer, which is just fine with me.  We have had many "for better" times, and we have been through some "or worse" parts of the relationship, and we're still glad we have each other.  We're also in agreement with Bill Cosby that we love our kids but it's all about raising them up and "getting them out of the house!"  and that "parents don't care about fairness, they care about quiet!"
So, I think I've found myself again, at least for the moment.  My arms are more loving today around my girls and I am so thankful for my family for helping me.

No comments:

Post a Comment