One of the most important aspects of raising kids to me is for them to have time with their Grandparents. I feel this way for several reasons. 1. It gives parents a break, even if I'm with them when we're together. And when they are with our parents without me I don't worry about them. I know they will be loved, fed, changed, punished if needed, and safe (well mostly...we'll be discussing 4-wheeler safety at some point). It is the only source of true freedom for me as a mom to know that if I'm away from my kids they are well taken care of. Because kids = worry....and a lot of it.
2. I think it's important for kids to know their heritage, I know it helped me to be able to see that my personality was similar to one or more grandparents in ways that was different from my parents. It helped me have perspective on different ways to live, how different their lives were compared to my parents and my life at home. It helped me define the kind of life I wanted (or didn't want).
3. Sometimes Grandmas have the answer that Mom couldn't figure out...especially with babies! Let's face it, they've been through it already and might have some tricks we moms haven't found yet. More than once a Grandma has helped stop a crying baby when I couldn't do it.
4. And probably the most important reason to me is that it gives kids a different view of parenting. Maybe it's more relaxed, maybe it's not, but I think it's good for children to see the world in a different light but still feel secure with someone they trust while doing it. Sitting around a fire and exploring the woods at one Grandma's, while reading new books and taking baby dolls for walks around the block at another is so much more fun than playing with the same toys at home.
And Grandparents love time with them too! Above: my mom (Grandmama) with Anna at 2nd birthday party
My dad (Grandpa Chuck) with Anna Spring 2010 for her first trip to the Normandy Lake
Frank's mom (Grandma Kathie) with Anna Fall 2010
My dad with Anna at the beach 2012
Frank's mom and dad (Grandpa Dale) with Ella Kate the day she was born.

No comments:
Post a Comment